a1084: RE: a1062: a1006: Controlling the evangelicals (fwd) Re Joe Allen (fwd)

From: Joel Dreyfuss <jdreyfuss@attglobal.net>

I suggested those rules because U.S. laws about religious freedom don't
apply to Haiti. I know they would never pass Constitutional muster in
the U.S.

But how do you protect poor, illiterate and hungry people from coercive
conversion? How do protect a cultural heritage that is constantly
denigrated by people who have no understanding of it and in fact, cast
it as evil even as they offer food and shelter? Haiti has always had
special relationship with religion. The Concordat of 1860 gave the
Catholic Church special status; one of the greatest experiences I ever
had as a Haitian was to listen to a houngan run through a detailed
history of Haitian presidents, citing their official position on vaudou
(mostly against) and their actual practice (from ardent practioners to
indifferent Catholics). Haiti could do worse than offer some protection
to Vaudou, especially in this fragile period in its history.

Joel Dreyfuss
jdreyfuss@attglobal.net
212-932-1448