a1098: Re: a1084 and a1087: Side-Effects of Illiteracy (fwd)

From: MIT2Haiti@aol.com

Two posts today cited grave side-effects of illiteracy:

a1084:

<< But how do you protect poor, illiterate and hungry people from coercive
conversion? How do protect a cultural heritage that is constantly denigrated
by people who have no understanding of it and in fact, cast it as evil even
as they offer food and shelter? >>

a1087:

<< Can vaccine trials be practiced on a poor, largely illiterate population,
which is then faced with concepts it doesn't understand? >>

I keep hearing Haitians and Haiti lovers say: Listen, we've got bigger
problems to solve in Haiti than "illiteracy".

Really???

Does not illiteracy help to "set Haiti up" as the trial & error laboratory of
the Western Hemisphere?

Marilyn Mason

P.O. Box 181015
Boston, Massachusetts 02118 USA