#227: Popular sector views on the elections (translation): Chamberlain comments (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

As tension and accusations inevitably increase as the various elections
approach, may I just note one thing which might needlessly add to it here
in Corbettland (and maybe elsewhere) and which we would do well to look out
for?

The word "déception" in French doesn't mean "deception" in English.  It
means simply "disappointment."

The error appeared in this translation of the SICRAD article about the
attitude of the popular organisations.

The French word for the English "deception" is "tromperie", "fraude" or
even "supercherie" (which doesn't mean what it looks like -- superbabe).

There are lots of such traps in French-English.  The French call them "faux
amis" (false -- or unwittingly deceptive, even -- friends).

        Greg Chamberlain