#304: More on St. Nicholas

From: Sabine Albert <sabinea@yahoo.com>

On the Mole St. Nicolas mistery.

Can the Haitian government public relations person (Ms. Karshen
{sp?})in charge of screening the Corbet list give us an answer as to
what is going on at Mole St. Nicolas.

If something is going on in Haitian soil, the Haitian government
should, once again, take responsibility and inform the public as to the
activities taking place.  I would hate to see this issue become another
instance where speculation and conspiracy theories evolve, displaying
the US and the eternal bad uncle and absolving the Haitian government
of any responsibility.

Haitian people have the right to know what is going on, even if we
can't do anything about it.  We also have the right to be informed of
any decisions and treaties  these elected representatives make, in a
clear manner, leaving no room for speculation.

Sabine Albert
=============================

From: WorthC8P@aol.com

A couple of further comments:  One of the first things I learned about Haiti
was that a key feature of its strategic importance to the US was its sharing
the Windward Passage with Cuba.  Sometimes folks would dismiss that piece of
information, saying that maybe that had been important in times past but not
since the advent of cheap shipping/travel by air.  But doesn't oil still
travel by sea?

Secondly, it occurred to me that if the US military is indeed hugely dug in
at the Mole, it's maybe been a stroke of great stategic good fortune that the
Haitian government has been so tangled up that it couldn't likely mount any
effective opposition to such plans.  Just a thought.

Worth Cooley-Prost

From: John Munsell <JMunsell@maf.org>

We have flown several survey flights over this area, one shortly after
the huricane and didn't see any "massive" anything...  I have e-mailed
someone who lives in this area to see what they have to say.  I'll let
you know if I hear anything from them.  I have my doubts on any current
activity.  The USCG does have a substancial presence (via sea and air)
all over the coasts in Haiti, but no land-based activities I know of.

John Munsell