#468:Snakes in Haitian culture: Grey replies to Stockdale

From:Racine125@aol.com

<<  Also, the association made with the word "snake" in the US is sneakly,
sly, dishonest, etc, etc.  However, organic homes such as those descibed in
this posting, have no sinister associations  >>

What is all this?

Vodouisants have all sorts of terms involving "snake" in a negative context.
"Ban lang serpan yo...", begins one Vodou song condemning gossip.  Bunch of
serpent's tongues!

In one big Bokor's lakou where I lived, in the Artibonite, a snake found in
the bushes was immediately killed.  At the house where I serve near Jacmel, a
big boa constrictor lives up in a tree behind our peristyle, and we never
trouble it.  It all depends, so let's not generalize.

Peace and Love,

The VODOU Page - http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html