#596: Mountain Made Haitian cookbook (fwd)

From:Nlbo@aol.com

 Corbetteers,

I agree with Kim. Mountain Maid, Best Made, is  a good Haitian cookbook. It
is compiled by Amy Wolff, Mountain Maid Self-Help Project, Box 1386,
Port-au-Prince (no date).  I bought mine in l996. It is printed by G&R
Publishing Co., 507 Industrial Street, Waverly, Iowa 50677.

Another is Cuisine & Patisserie Modernes.  It's in French, and is heavily
oriented toward desserts.  Author is Gisele Denis.  No publisher is cited. I
got it at Bon Nouvel in Rue Pavee last August.
I believe Murray or someone else was interested last year in putting a
Haitian cookbook together. What ever happened to that project? I think that
publishing company in Iowa or Mission Baptist should make it available to
book stores in the States, even other bookstores in the city. I don't see the
Mission Baptist books anywhere else.

Since we are on the subject of food, I have heard that conch known as lanbi
is an aphrodisiac. Does any chemist , doctor scientist or clinician have any
scientific evidence of that "hearsay"?
I would like to hear other "hearsays" or clinically proven " research on that
Haitian delicacy.

Nekita