#624: Structural adjustment : Gill replies to Antoine

From: Mark Gill <markgill@midwest.net>

> Could you please elaborate on which measures were
> designed to help the Haitian peasants and in what manner?
 > ****and, how does reducing tariffs on agricultural imports help the
peasants?

perhaps to lower the cost of rice and beans for the consumer?  but, such a tariff reduction can only hurt small
producers since cheaper imports undermine local agricultural
production....and, it is difficult to understand what Peter is saying in
regards the impact of tariff reductions....i have never
heard anyone say that the political impasse of the last 2 years was due
to this aspect of "structural adjustments"....

--
Envoy to Caribbean, IAEWP (NGO)
Albert Schweitzer Caribbean Foundation

Society of Signum Fidei  markgill@ecosse.net