#637: Telephone breakdown? Petersen asks

From: Ingegerd N Petersen <inp.ry@ci.kk.dk>

I've been trying for days to reach friends in Haiti by phone since the
Internet has been shut down, but get the same answer wherever I try:
This number is disconnected.

I'm leaving for Haiti in a week, and I'm getting seriously worried.
Haitionline tells the story of the shutdown, but could anyone tell me
what's happening behind the scenes? This must be a disaster to Haitian
economy, security etc. if not only the Internet, but also phones and
faxes are cut off.

Thanks,

Ingegerd N. Petersen