#742: Kozyn replies to #728 Haiti's Aristide may seek return to power (fwd)

From: John C. Kozyn <jckozyn@mnsinc.com>

From: kevin pina <cariborganics@hotmail.com>

> I think it is time for Jennifer to risk leaving the nexis of Port Au Prince
> politics and to spend a little time in the countryside. I think she will
> find it a refreshing break from the center of the universe and, if she is
> really quiet, she may even hear one or two different takes from her own.

I too, wondered about this non-news item by Ms Baudry. This is news? I
don't think so. I'm pretty sure that Aristide indicated way back in 1995
(June, in Montrouis) that a run for the presidency in 2001 would happen,
but this was before she came on the scene...

I agree with Kevin Pina's suggestion, but let's send not only Reuters'
Jennifer Baudry but also Associated Press's Michael Norton out to the
countryside without a cell-phone or modem and let them just _listen_ for
a while to people who won't treat them to 5* (let alone Reserve
Domaine), who don't drive (period), who won't flatter them, and who are
about as down to earth and honest as you will you ever see anywhere. (I
think I know what Kevin means because I have been there too - as have
many people on this list).

Maybe I'm wishing for far too much. I do wish, however, that we would
see some reporting from Haiti in the U.S. press that reflects the
reality of the whole country, but that would mean that certain reporters
would have to place themselves in less than comfortable milieux.

John Kozyn

N.B. Please, spare us from any journalistic remembrances from some of
y'all about how your air conditoning wasn't working when you were in
Haiti or that your beer was nipped from the common fridge etc. TIA :)