#1157: Literacy in Japan: Mihoko comments and compares

From: mihoko tsunetomi <miho0087@yominet.ne.jp>

Please find below the literacy rate list I found from Yahoo.
     As a Japanese, I don't quite understand why such big debates
are necessary to determine what language is to be used for a nation.
 Although I am not a beginner with Haiti as the only writer of Haiti
Information in Japanese for the past 7 years, together with Sosyete
Kreyol Nan Japon.(almost non-existing), I know I am quite ignorant,
and wish to stay within the limit of a foreigner .  Needless to say,
I am second to none in hoping Hatians to have more literacy, and
what I write has no slightest meaning to offend you.
1.  Japan's literacy has nothing to do with our religion.  Most of us
are indifferent to religon, though just ceremonially, we go to
Shinto Shrine for happy occasions, andBuddhist temples for sad
occasions such as funerals.  Though not happy, I must admit a
foreigner's comment," Japanese are strong believers of a religion,
materialism."  That is the reality, and I must admit that we have
lost some spiritual aspects in exchange of certain affluence. (We
are in deep recession now.  For your reference, Shinto has 8million
dieties, much more than Voudou)
2.  The relation of hunger and education
     As a senior citizen, I have witnessed the worst part of Japan.
We had nothing to eat.  We ate weed and grasshoppers.  Many schools
were destroyed by the heavy air bombing.  Still nobody doubted going
to school, sometimes sitting on the ground.  The only thing we had was
 the determination to read and write.
3.   I don't understand why the Haitians keep silence when something
is decided in a language they don't understand.  If our prime minister
spoke in Arabic, he could not be the prime minster the next day.
4.  Surprizingly enough, less than 1% of us have any workable foreign
language command, though everybody aspires to learn English.
5.  History  We have not experienced colonialism, and that could be
the biggest difference.  Even if we want, there is no alternative to
Japanese.
6.  (from here is my dream.  I have the right to have dreams?)
a.  If not overnight, basic literacy can be acquaired in a very short
time.  Our children can write when they are 3 or 4 years old.
Why not use the genius of children while they keep it.  Start now
instead of arguing.  Put ABC on the wall, and children will enjoy it.
b.  Simplify the writing.  First, decide how to write mwen, mouin or
what else, and make it a law, publish it tomorrow.  I know many
countries who quickly dispeled illiteracy by simplifying.  China, Korea,
Japan, Thailand etc. Take offaccents(I know I would be bashed.
 This is partly because I cannot read letters with accents.  Whether
we like it or not, moderncommunication cannot go forward without
computer which is based on English.  Do we have difficulty pronouncing
 "even, ever,letter?)
c.  Wonderful Kreyol!  The day I installed my computer, I had to
read French.  I am still surviving, but I hate it.  I thought I had to
have mininum command of French, and took a 3-months course,
but I quit.  Why do I have to be asked if I love France, or want
to go to Paris?  Qui is easy, but Non needs the reason.  Pourquoi?
I am too old to learn to speak.  But heaven makes exquisite arrange-
ment.  Later when I looked into Kreyol, Bravo!  Yes, Zowazo, Lekol,
zanmi.  All past can be expressed with te.  If kreyol is still in the
process of adjustment, make it as simple and up-to-date so that
any child or foreigner can easily start.  We could make it the
international language so that anybody can communicate!  I
envy, in a sense, that Kreyol is writen with alphabets, while Japanese
has no hope of taking that place.

    How long do I have to wait?  I have already waited 7 years.
We have witnessed the sickning cases of Stella, Aids, deportation,
and any media mentioned if they are educated or peasants?
Let me believe that Haiti is one, and if united, nation-bilding is
not a dream.  Why not Haitian, what Japanese did within decades.

    With my unchanging love to Haiti,

                                                 Mihoko
>Adult Literacy Rate
Percentages

Return to Indicator Selection Page
Chart 1
Right Click here to download data for last 10 years for this page in CSV
Format
(From the menu, choose Save Target As... for Internet Explorer or Save Link
As... for Netscape)

Country Name 1995 1996 1997 1998
Afghanistan 31.5 31.5 ... ...
Albania 85 85 85 ...
Algeria 61.6 61.6 60.3 ...
Azerbaijan 96.3 97.0 96.3 ...
Bahrain 85.2 85.2 86.2 ...
Bangladesh 38.1 38.1 38.9 ...
Benin 37.0 37.0 33.9 ...
Brunei 88.2 88.2 90.1 ...
Burkina Faso 19.2 19.2 20.7 ...
Cameroon 63.4 63.4 71.7 ...
Chad 48.1 48.1 50.3 ...
Comoros 57.3 57.3 55.4 ...
Djibouti 46.2 46.2 48.3 ...
Egypt 51.4 51.4 52.7 ...
Gabon 63.2 63.2 66.2 ...
Gambia 38.6 38.6 33.1 ...
Guinea 35.9 35.9 37.9 ...
Guinea-Bissau 54.9 54.9 33.6 ...
Guyana 98.1 98.1 98.1 ...
Indonesia 83.8 83.8 85.0 ...
Iran 69.0 72.1 73.3 ...
Iraq 58 58 58 ...
Jordan 86.6 86.6 87.2 ...
Kazakistan 99 99 99 ...
Kuwait 78.6 78.6 80.4 ...
Kyrghyzistan 97 97 97 ...
Lebanon 92.4 92.4 84.4 ...
Libyan Jamahiriya 76.2 76.2 76.5 ...
Malaysia 83.5 83.5 85.7 ...
Maldives 93.2 93.2 95.7 ...
Mali 31.0 31.0 35.5 ...
Mauritania 37.7 37.7 38.4 ...
Morocco 43.7 43.7 45.9 ...
Mozambique 40.1 40.1 40.5 ...
Niger 13.6 13.6 14.3 ...
Nigeria 57.1 57.1 59.5 ...
Oman 59.0 ... 67.1 ...
Pakistan 37.8 37.8 40.9 ...
Qatar 79.4 79.4 80.0 ...
Saudi Arabia 63.0 62.8 73.4 ...
Senegal 33.1 33.1 34.6 ...
Sierra Leone 31.4 31.4 33.3 ...
Sudan 46.1 46.1 53.3 ...
Surinam 93.0 93.0 93.5 ...
Syria 70.9 70.9 71.6 ...
Tajikistan 99.0 97.0 98.9 ...
Togo 51.7 51.7 53.2 ...
Tunisia 66.7 66.7 67.0 ...
Turkey 82.3 82.3 83.2 ...
Turkmenistan 98 98 98 ...
Uganda 61.8 61.8 64.0 ...
United Arab Emirates 79.2 79.2 74.8 ...
Uzbekistan 99 96 99 ...
Yemen 38.0 40.0 42.5 ...
Source: SESRTCIC databases, the data of which are compiled from various
international publications.
Note: SESRTCIC databases contain additional data in terms of both time (1975
on) and detail (concerning a limited number of countries only and/or stored
in national currency terms) compared to what is given here or offered for
downloads. Requests for further data in this sense should be made by sending
an e-mail.

Definition of Adult literacy rate (Percentages)
Percentage of those who can read and write in the population aged 15 years
or more.

Click Here to see the Subject Definitions

----

This page belongs to SESRTCIC InfoBase, source of the most comprehensive
information (statistics, bibliography, maps, links, etc.) on 56 Islamic
Countries. <