#1450: poorest nation, con't. : Bellegarde-Smith replies to Klarreich

From: P D Bellegarde-Smith <pbs@csd.uwm.edu>

> From:KKLARREICH@aol.com
> > And how might you reply to comments Aristide recently made in a CBC interview:
>
>  ".........Democracy on a global scale is sick. We have to democratize
> democracy itself in order to speak about a healthier democracy. If on a
> global scale, 1.3 billion people live on less than a $1 per day, and in the
> case of Haiti we're talking about the poorest nation in the hemisphere,
> things are comparable to what is happening worldwide."
> > Kathie Klarreich
>
> President Aristide is making a much bigger point, so he is entitled. It
would be important to discuss what Aristide said , rather than
emphasize the least important line in the declaration above. Is he right?
Is he beatting a dead horse? He speaks of the intimate connection between
political democracy and economic democracy. The problem exemplified by Ms.
Klarreich's statement above is exactly why many people do not take
<corbettland> seriously. Aristide's comment should have turned many
stomachs on this line,"...here he goes again! dissing the capitalist
West!"
			P.D.B. Bellegarde-Smith