#1657: Alejo Carpentier, a friend of freedom :Lyall comments

From: J. David Lyall <dlyall@cruzio.com>

>Carpentier Cuba's writer of the century
>
>Havana, Cuba, CANA - Alejo Carpentier is Cuba's Writer
>of the Century. Radio Havana Wednesday reported the
>Granma newspaper saying that Carpentier, who was the
>first Latin American writer awarded the Cervantes Prize,
>contributed to the rebirth of literature in Latin America.
>The recognition of Alejo Carpentier's work coincides with
>the 95th anniversary of his birth and the 50th anniversary
>of the publication of his novel "The Kingdom of This World."

"Kingdom of this World" is a great book. It needs to be available
in kreyol. Who is preparing a kreyol version of it?
Is Olaffson Education advocacy working on this?

"Explosion in a Cathedral" is a fantastic work. I forgot the spanish
title, but the english title is a good one.

Carpentier uses the thesis that Carnival/Kanaval is an african
holiday. I followed this thesis in my intro to a web page about
kanaval.
Earlier someone posted a link to an african heritage site which
expounds upon this african origin of karib kanaval.

So, to follow up on Thor Burnhams question, when is fat tuesday this
year?
My farmers almanac does not list the lunar calendar saints days.

----
J. David Lyall
     [ Jedidiah Daudi in full ki-swahili ]
http://members.cruzio.com/~dlyall/