#2311: Haiti Election Bulletin: Kozyn replies to Wharram

From: John C. Kozyn <jckozyn@mnsinc.com>

From: Bruce Wharram <bruce.wharram@sylvania.sev.org>

> Torrie Keller:
> How do you reconcile your "rose colored" picture of the Haiti election
> registration process when first hand observers and Reuters give an
> entirely opposite picture???  Could this be because the U.S. and other
> International governments/agencies are calling the shots in Haiti and
> "running" the election process??
> Who are we supposed to believe??

I think that Bruce Wharram is stretching his claim a bit here since
it's based - at least partially - on reporting that he's come across
in the US media. Neither Reuters, nor AP for that matter, have
submitted stories reflecting the fact that large numbers of people
are registering. And judging from some other observations made here
recently, I'm pretty darned reluctant to believe that voter
registration is not proceeding quite nicely, all things considered.

I also think there might be a lot of groups who think they're running
the process, but I also think you can make a strong claim that the
CEP has demonstrated pro-active competence, and a willingness to
stand independently viz. some international allies.

John Kozyn