#2794: Painting by Rose-Marie Desruisseaux : Morris comments

From:Mysteries@aol.com

<< Rose was one of the painters who broke through the 'primitives' archtype
so promoted by Dewitt Peters.

David X Young  >>

I would hope that any painter trained or untrained with any quality would
break through the 'primitives' stereotype by the sheer impetus of the vision
therein.  I am no defender of DeWitt Peters but the socalled archetype was a
European invention, not Haitian or North American.

What is there to break through after all?  Not the quality of the
art.....just the colonial emphasis placed on the way it is marketed.  There
still has not been an up to date accurate view of the self-taught Haitians.

The Chasm between trained and untrained artists in Haiti is a
market-generated one, not an intrinsic byproduct of the work.  Had more
trained artists been successful and the shoe on the other foot some of us
would be crying 'elitism' and colonialistic hegemony.

The fact is that they both exist, one harkening to a cultural context and one
in a context primarily formed by the Academy whatever its chosen subject
matter.  Peters was less a visionary than an astute marketer.

I never understand why one type of art has to be put down to justify another.
 They are both part of the same world with different roots.  They both have
their sludgy bottoms and their etherel heights.

Randall