#2813: Ministre d'etat des cultes (fwd) Nicks shares sources

From: Steeve-Anthony Nicks <STEEVE-ANTHONY.NICKS@wanadoo.fr>

If I understood correctly you want me to document the final part of my post.
If I have not understood what you want tell me.  I am looking for
information on the Min. des Cultes, but a discussion on 19th century
religious factions would be interesting to me as well.

sources:    (I'm lazy so I'm not writing in a "correct" footnote form)

    1)           Cornevin, Robert,   "Que Sais-je? _Haiti_", Presses
Universitaires de France, 1982, pg.95
                  Cornevin wrote a general introduction to Haiti for the
series "Que sais-je?" which has a section on Protestants.  This is a very
general introduction to Haiti.  He says that there were French Protestants
in Haiti before the Revolution, but that the first real contact with
Protestants came with the English in 1794.  However, the first
_missionaries_ did not arrive until 1817.  Cornevin also cites Haitian
professor Charles Poisset ROMAIN.
    2)           Lamartine, Petit-Monsieur,  "_La coexistence de types
religieux différents dans Haïtian contemporain_",  Nouvelle Revue de science
missionaire, Immensee, Switzerland, 1992, pg 73-101.
                  Lamartine's work was presented to the University of
Paris-Sorbonne for his "doctorat."
                  Lamartine goes into much more detail than does Cornevin.
Here you can read how "Le roi Christophe, ennemi de la France impériale et
post-napoléonnienne.....rendit l'anglais obligatoire à l'école qu'il a créa
au Cap-Henri [Cap Haitian]....et confia à deux pasteurs anglais la direction
de son College Royal" pg. 80.  Lamartine says on page 82 that Petion put
them (the two English missionaries) in the National Palace and that he
authorized them to preach to the officers of the army.  (Talk about a
captive audience!)
                 Lamartine uses several different sources.  Some of the
sources used for the above are F. Dalencourt, L. Rulx, R. Bastide, Cahiers
d'Histoire Mondiale-UNESCO, B. Joachim, J. B. Romain, to name a few.
    3)          Further evidence of the English missionary impact can be
seen in several letters written to the Oeuvres Pontifical Missionnaires by
the Prelat Tisserant, and his superior Libermann who complained about the
schools and "terrible" influence these English Protestants had in Haiti.
(NOTE:  I don't find any nationalistic message behind their attacks against
the English.  Tisserant chose Father George Paddington as one of his first
envoys to Haiti.  Paddington was Irish.  Another priest chosen by Tisserant
was from Brittany, and two others from Savoie in France.  Two regions that
were not fully integrated into the vision of "France" we have today.

What is even more interesting to see is how the municipal gov't of P-au-P
was supporting the English Protestants, or how in one letter written by
Tisserant (to Libermann) writes a few lines in Kreyol expressing the "joy"
of the Haitian at having the "real" Catholic church celebrate Mass.  ("Real"
as opposed to the Catholic priests in Haiti considered by Rome to be
"rotten.")

I have more sources, but not in front of my eyes, and the one from Lamartine
is one of the most complete that I have found.

I hope this is what you were looking for.

Steeve-Anthony NICKS
STEEVE-ANTHONY.NICKS@wanadoo.fr

ps.  the English pastors that came in 1816/1817 were Catts and Brown.