#3078: Re: Dorismond Funeral : Wilcken comments

From: Lois E Wilcken <makandal-ny@juno.com>

Daniel Simidor says that Giuliani is "apparently quite the hero upstate."
 I'm sure he's absolutely right.  But I'm wondering if anyone knows of
any polls or studies conducted Upstate in the aftermath of the Dorismond
funeral.  We really need to be armed with such knowledge because it might
be of use in fighting Giuliani's Senatorial candidacy.  A Senator
Guiliani would be a nightmare for the Haitian communities of New
York--from Brooklyn to Spring Valley to Nassau County, etc.

I'm also wondering if anyone has heard the story of a Haitian woman, a
doctor, whose hand was badly injured while police were pushing barricades
against demonstrators at the Dorismond funeral.  The doctors had to
amputate one of her fingers.  As I heard it, she went to her local
precinct Wednesday to file a complaint, and was arrested instead.  The
police questioned her about her affiliations, asked her to identify
people in a video they forced her to watch, and even put her in a line-up
for identification by police officers.  She claimed that other women in
the lineup were female officers--now in plainclothes--whom she had seen
in the precinct earlier in the day in their uniforms.  This, of course,
implies a frameup.  The woman's lawyer is also representing WBAI reporter
Maitland, who wound up in coronary care at Kings County Hospital
following a police assault.  The lawyer said that as of Thursday morning,
the Haitian doctor was still in detention.  This is all I know of her
story.  Can anyone shed more light on it?

Lois Wilcken
La Troupe Makandal - New York City's #1 Haitian Roots Ensemble
621 Rutland Road, Brooklyn NY 11203
718-953-6638 / makandal-ny@juno.com