#3220: Albright says US frowns on turmoil plaguing Haiti: Wilcken's reply to Gill

From: Lois E Wilcken <makandal-ny@juno.com>

> From:drgill@cdinter.net
>
> it seems that most assume that Aristide IS the real power in Haiti
> today......thus, Ms. Albright addresses the situation by addressing
> M.
> Aristide......

Of course, but this doesn't change the contradication.  One the one hand,
the U.S. pushes for immediate elections because the country is without a
Parliament, i.e., no checks and balances, Preval is behaving like a
"dictator," etc.  On the other hand, Albright calls for Aristide, who
officially has no authority, to intervene.  It's okay for Aristide, or
anyone else, to manipulate the situation (as long as he does so in line
with U.S. wishes), while it's wrong for Preval to rule by decree.  I'm
just saying that inconsistencies rule--as always.  And they point to a
lack of concern for participatory democracy on the part of the U.S.

Lois Wilcken
La Troupe Makandal - New York City's #1 Haitian Roots Ensemble
621 Rutland Road, Brooklyn NY 11203
718-953-6638 / makandal-ny@juno.com