#3238: Letter to the editor: A response

From:Jepiem@aol.com

Of course, my suggestion to get rid of the politicians was thrown in
figuratively out of frustration rather than as a practical litterally meant
proposition. There's no question that in a medium like Haiti where the
majority is in the expectative to "get in", that is to find a suitable
government position at any level to ensure of a paycheck or to be able to
skim off whatever comes your way, because of the high level of poverty and
unemployment, no sooner than you get rid of a group of corrupt politicians,
another group would take its place, like the waves of the sea. And this is
exactly what happens at every change of government. In fact, the new wave
won't even wait for the preceeding one to reach shore, hence the repeated
coup d'etats of which our history is so rich. What I really have in mind when
I say "throwi out the politicians" is devising and planning programs that
would practically bypass established government and would be executed to
directly help raise the standard of living of the population. In a country
like Haiti, this is highly possible. There are of course programs that are of
such a scale that they require the participation of government, like general
public health programs, agrarian reform, revamping and upgrading of
education, the justice system and police, upgrading of the countries
utilities and so on and so forth. Even there it would not be impossible to
start by doing evaluation programs and presenting the results directly to
foreign governments with requests for assistance and pressure on the Haitian
government to get them executed under diaspora Haitian and foreign
supervision. You can not completely eliminate graft of course, but such an
approach would go a long way towards improving the standard of living of the
population and with that gradually reduce the dependency on state employment
to survive and hence the graft and corruption. Neither can you do anything on
a grand scale without assistance or at least the benediction of established
powers or else, they would stand in your way sabotage you at every step.
That's why you need the cooperation of locals who know best how to negotiate
your way through those potential mine fields. Enough talking. Haitians both
in Haiti and abroad and foreigners need to band together and form a sort of
separate non govrnemental organization with a different scope than the
traditional NGOs and take the case of Haiti into their hands. This would
indeed be the best form of government, being made up of voluntaries. This is
no easy task there's a whole country going down the drain or should I say
down the sea, being carried down by the avalanches ( Lavalass?) of the rainy
seasons. We need to take measures so that the rainy water instead of going
down with the arable land to the sea is stored for the benefit of the
population. And that can be done without street demonstrations without
rioting without firing a gun, without having to kill anyone. There will still
be obstacles. Some of our big brothers who are clamoring for democracy will
want to know what we are up to and won't help if we don't follow their
scheme. It is very clear from observation of distant and recent past that
they want to have their hands in everything to make sure we don't deviate
from the written scenario. Some examples are the story of Grenada with
Maurice Bishop, Patrice Lumumba in the Congo and Fidel Castro in Cuba. In
Haiti, I don't think you need to go far to find the footprints of the CIA or
the direct attempts at intimidation of the Haitian government by big brother.
Just look at the episodes in the saga of the on again off again elections and
the role being played by representatives of various branches of the US
government and lately even the Japanese government if you need any
convincing. A good place for us to start would be to gather a group away from
the general group and start thinking and planning strategy on how we can best
help Haiti out of this continuous impasse. It's not going to be a one shot
kind of deal. The group of today may not see tangible results from its
efforts, but a solid organization would carry through the torch long after we
are gone. When enough Haitians of good will have been formed through that
process, they would gradually take on more and more of the load and BE THE
GOVERNMENT. And that's how you would :"throw out the politicians"