#3771: Pina comments on the closing of the poles with conch horns blowing

From: kevin pina <cariborganics@hotmail.com>

At the closing of the polls it was reported that the sound of conch horns
was heard in several neighborhoods of Port au Prince.  The sound of the
Caribbean native conch shell has long symbolized as a call for freedom in
Haiti. It is well known as a call to arms for the maroons, communities of
escaped slaves in the country's early history, who allied themselves with
the forces that defeated Napoleon's armies, establishing Haiti as the
world's first black republic.

Tonight it is heard as the symbol of an anticipated victory for Aristide's
Lavalas party and political rectification for Haitian majority politics put
off track by the 1991 coup and the nullification of the results of the
previous parliamentary elections. There are also reports that quiet,
spontaneous celebrations have begun to break out in several neighborhoods of
Port au Prince. At a small but growing gathering in the front yard of a
small merchant, one celebrant stated, "We have tried one more time to make
them understand that what we want is change. Lavalas and Aristide are our
choice." She seemed convinced that if the elections were fair that
Aristide's Lafamni Lavalas party will emerge victorious.