#3907: Young and Dannenbaum respond on the Haitian MacBeth

From: David x Young <Frelgo@interport.net>

    Welle's MACBETH ran for many performances and was a historical
success. Orson actually employed Vodun preists as the 'witches' of the
story. One NY critic panned the production  but one of the priests told
Welles not to worry. Critic died shortly thereafter of a heart attack.
There are many biographies now in book form  about  Welles  in which the
MACBETH stage production figures prominently ..
Check the  public library. Alva Johnson had a piece about it and Welles
in a circa 1940's SATURDAY EVENING POST. article  called "HOW TO RAISE A
CHILD".
 I was once involved as writer on a screenplay on Christophe  (loosely
the model for that MacBeth) and we approached Welles as director. He was
interested, but like in so many projects of this sort, the money never
materialized.

David X Young

From: Perez_Dannenbaum <mpperez@mail.utexas.edu>

There's an interesting article about Orson Welles' production of Macbeth
entitled "The Play That Electrified Harlem" by Wendy Smith in the
January/February 1996 issue of "Civilization: The Magazine of the Library
of Congress."