#4702: Re: #4688: Congressman Conyers puts Haiti elections in perspective (fwd)

From:Drjudson@aol.com

Congressman Conyers is absolutely correct.  those of us who were there on May
21 all agree that the process was peaceful and that turnout was tremendous -
better in fact than US non presidential elections.  It is time for everyone
to accept the fact that the people of Haiti did as good a job as any
reasonable person could expect with their elections.   The elected officials
need to be accepted by all and seated so that the country can begin to move
forward again.  It is one thing to have elections for positions which are
currently filled and functional.  In May, there were only 9 of 110 members of
the parliament seated.  I do not know the status of other officials and in
the country at that time.  Japan is withholding aid and other countries are
likely to follow if  a government is not soon seated and functional.  We
should all encourage our elected congressmen to speak out as did Congressman
Conyers.

John Judson
drjudson@aol.com