#4845: The press and voter registration: Chamberlain comments on Karshan (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

> The press was saying that people were turning out
> for voter registration solely because they wanted to
> have ID cards for the first time in their lives.

Michelle, I don't have the clips to hand, but I'm sure
you'll find the foreign press wasn't saying people were
registering "solely" because they wanted ID cards.
As I remember, they were noting that _some_ people
(a few) seemed to be doing it for this reason.

> It certainly was an attempt to minimalize the Haitian
> people's commitment to participatory democracy.

The reporters were simply noting it as one of the many
things they observed.  That can't fairly be called
deliberate disinformation.

        Greg Chamberlain