6204: Re: "Polio Warning" Question : a reply

From: "Haitian Street Kids, Inc." <haitianstreetkids@rescueteam.com>

Historically, the Oral Polio Vaccine (OPV), which is an attenuated
live virus, was given exclusively for many, many years. It was
attributed to inducing actual polio disease in  approximately one
out of every 3mil to 4mil children who received it. Even though it
was capable of inducing the actual disease, it was determined by the
powers that be, that the benefit outweighed the risk. The children
in which it induced the disease, were children who had severely
diminished immune systems, for whatever reason, and were undiagnosed
as immune deficient prior to receiving the vaccine.

The Oral Polio Vaccine is now not authorized in the USA and is not
being manufactured anymore as of about last August. The OPV has been
replaced by Inactivated Polio Virus (IPV) which is not a live virus,
is given in injectable form, and is totally safe. It is several
times more expensive than the OPV and that is probably the reason
the OPV was used more profusely.

The vaccine that has caused the outbreak in the Dominican Republic
and in Haiti, was from a particular batch of oral vaccine which
contained a mutated virus that had overcome the attenuation process
in some way, from what I understand.

Information On The IPV Is Here:
http://www.immunize.org/vis/ha_pol00.pdf

Information On Other Vaccines Can Be Located Here:
http://www.immunize.org/vis/#haitiancreole

I am trying now to get one of the vaccine manufacturers to donate a
supply of IPV for an immunization campaign when I get back to PaP in
a few weeks, but no luck yet. Maybe if enough people were to write
Bill and Melinda Gates foundation, who say they are interested in
global immunization for all children, we might get some action.

Michael Brewer
Haitian Street Kids, Inc.
http://www.Restavek.org
Email:  HaitianStreetKids@rescueteam.com