[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
6597: More on Jackson Joanis (fwd)
From: Charles Arthur <email@example.com>
Haitian accused of atrocities given bond
By JODY A. BENJAMIN
Web-posted: 12:04 a.m. Dec. 2, 2000, Sun Sentinel
Only one of seven immigrants accused of atrocities in Haiti was granted bond
Friday to be freed from detention.
An attorney for the group asked that all seven be released from a county
jail in Bradenton on the grounds that the Immigration and Naturalization
Service had improperly arrested them during a Nov. 15-16 sweep. The roundup
of alleged persecutors living in South Florida was dubbed "Operation Home
But Miami immigration Judge R. Kevin McHugh said he had no jurisdiction
to hear three of the cases. Two others were ineligible for bond because they
had been ordered deported after losing asylum bids and had failed to file
McHugh granted a $6,500 bond to one defendant, Charles Michelet, but INS
immediately appealed that decision. Michelet will be held until the appeal
is decided. A hearing for the seventh man, Maxo Provence, was rescheduled
for Dec. 8.
"We won one," said attorney Carlo Jean Joseph, referring to Michelet's
bond. "We will file an appeal on some of the other cases."
McHugh said he did not have the authority to decide bond for Jackson
Joanis, an ex-police captain who was convicted in absentia in Haiti for
killing a political rival.
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.