6741: Re: 6687: Re: 6670: gay / lesbian issues in Haiti ...Dorce to Archer (fwd)

From: C&C Henrius <carolineislands@hotmail.com>

>From: LAKAT47@aol.com
>
>In a message dated 01/18/2001 7:27:08 AM Pacific Standard Time, Merrie
>Archer
><MArcher@nchr.org writes:
>
><< Given  the extent to which Haiti is known for its rampant homophobia,
>I'm
>hoping to open up a can of worms ... >>
>I do not believe Haiti is known for its rampant homophobia.  Gays in Haiti
>are treated much as they are here.

I have to disagree with you here (didn't think that would ever happen :).
My experience in Haiti is that it is largely *very* homophobic.  I have yet
to meet a Haitian (other than one gay man I met who is ostracized by most of
society) that was not very open and vehement about their disaproval of
homosexuality.  It's very much hidden and looked down on in Haiti.  At least
in my experience.

C. Henrius