6779: Re: 6757: RE: Telephoning Haiti from USA (fwd)

From: C&C Henrius <carolineislands@hotmail.com>

>From: Karen Davis <kdavis@marygrove.edu>
>
>Help! There are now so many different phone companies, contracts, cards,
>special deals, etc. that I'm confused.
>Can anyone recommnend a cheap and RELIABLE phone service to Haiti??

Yeehaw, have we ever been through this one.  Are you sitting there with a 7
or 8 hundred dollar phone bill in your hand, thinking what that money could
have actually done for the people in Haiti?  I had to actually change my
number at one time because friends and distant family just did NOT
understand that the cost of the call was what was making us unable to
send
the money they called to ask for.  Eventually we learned who to give the
number to and friends and close family stopped giving it out and now we can
send more money.  We use a company called Capsule who I found online, but I
don't think any of the companies can get the calls down to less than 75cents
per minute. What hurts is the collect calls.  Some of them has been as high
as $7.50 per minute depending on the company the collect call comes through.

Sorry I can't help more than that, but at least you're not alone!

C. Henrius