6867: Sexual abstinence in Vodou (fwd)

From: Racine125@aol.com

Sexual abstinence, was Gays in Haiti

C&C Henrius <carolineislands@hotmail.com> wrote:

<<I often hear you mentioning some period of sexual abstinance in your particular training.  Does anyone on the list know the roots of this practice?  I know there is a period of abstiance on a specific day each week
for those commited (married) to Ezili, but those long periods of sexual denial sound so Christian to me...

C. Henrius>>

Sexual abstinence is required of Vodouisants at certain times.  The big ones are:

1) After becoming kanzo, at no matter what rank.  The traditional period of abstinence is forty one days, and that is the required period in my house.  A few houses require only seventeen days, and I know of one Houngan who claims that a period of nine days is sufficient, although this is generally disapproved of by other Houngans in his community.

2) In preparation for a brule zen ceremony, the hounsis or Mambos or Houngans who will "chita sur zen", sit at the burning zens to tend them, are expected to abstain from sex the night before.

3) When married to a lwa, the human spouse is expected to abstain from sex one night a week, or sometimes two nights a week, so that the lwa can come and sleep with him or her.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra" - Good is rare
Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html