6889: Gays, Vodou, and Stigma (fwd)

From: Shirley Jean <shirle_jean@hotmail.com>

Dear Corbetters,

I find that with this discussion and many other discussions on the list the
debate is often led by non-Haitians (which is fine, but to be frank
introduces an incompleteness in the discussion). As a result, people
compartmentalize and categories different parts of Haitian identity and
culture almost as an academic exercise. I think this is nature given no
matter what you are always looking in and not ever one with (I don't mean
this is a bad way)....

My experience has been that there are no set boundaries as with many things
in life when it comes to Voodoo for majority of Haitians. It is fluid with
people going in and out from practicing Voodoo and  Protestantism and
Catholicism. For example, in times of need and illness, people go from one
to another as needed and as their needs are met. But at the same time there
are people in all faiths who are devoted followers of their faith without
wavering, but this in my opinion is the minority.

As a result of this fluidity coupled with the general disfavoring of
homosexuality in Haitian society, I would not say that homophobia is rampant
but it is disfavored on a whole. People with their own agendas can try and
rationalize this basic fact of Haitian culture and try and take parts of the
culture out of context (Voodoo) and set it as a model of tolerance. Let us
be real and ask ourselves how it is that outside the religious setting of
the perisil these same people who make up the population are not as
tolerant.

>From day 1 in a Haitian household (I do recognize I am talking in
generalities), you are taught that masisi and madivineze is a bad things
FROM people who are atheist (rare), from people who are Christian and from
those who practice voodoo. Even in families, people make fun of and call gay
members of their family weirdos and ask why God has given the family such a
burden even as they contiue to love their relative. Fluidity and duality
again, but not acceptance and true unconditional acceptance... In my
opinion, this is the most prevalent experience. I write this because I would
not want someone to get the wrong idea from the postings, which I believe
are exceptions, and get hurt from the rejection they will face by most
people by having unrealistic expectations.

Shirley