7112: Morse/Driver (fwd)

From: OLOFFSONRAM@aol.com

Dear Mr Driver,
  I'm sure there are other motives besides "the three years" for Aristide
reneging on the Governor's Island deal. I'm sure he's also reneged on a whole
lot of other deals.  In his first election he was part of FNCD and when it
came time to name a Prime minister and cabinet he went outside of the party
to choose his own people. I would say there's a history of reneging on deals.
A great number of the new opposition are former allies, Herve Denis, Evans
Paul. In the past, the opposition had been the Army and the macoutes.
   I draw conclusions, not necessarily from "evidence" but just from talking
to people and hearing a little bit of news. I know people at Tabarre, the
Palace, rara bands, the police, rich people, poor people, business people,
journalists, artists, marchands, fourniseurs, all kinds of folks. Sometimes
over time you start seeing patterns. I'm not doing any investigations, if
thats what you mean. I just live here.
  Perhaps you could find out if International funding stopped after the three
years was denied(Nov./Dec '95). Something probably triggered it like
non-privatization. I remember these bands of people demonstrating against
privatization and they didn't even know what it was.
    On the other hand, I also remember Aristide being really peeved when a
parliament member/relative of his was killed. He made a speech in the
National Cathedral staring down at Ambassador Swing threatening to make a
mess of Clinton foreign policy. He said something in French like "Je peux, Je
veux" He kept saying it over and over. Some pretty tense moments, I suspect,
for the security detail. Mobs went out on the street that day and made a mess
at Delmas. There was a group of investors visiting the country and they got
stuck in the mob scene and left the country.
     This week Aristide was at a Caricom meeting promising, I'm sure, free
and fair elections. Six and a half years with a support of the majority of
Haitians, 3 parliamentary elections and 2 presidential elections and we're
still getting promises for fair elections? When? Perhaps when all opposition
has been eliminated.

Richard Morse