7434: RE: Zombie powder-- 7424: 7410: 7383: and 7409: (fwd)

From: "Desmangles, Leslie" <Leslie.Desmangles@trincoll.edu>

Bob Corbett's description of toxicologists' inability to dose tetrodotoxin
is correct. That is precisely the problem with asserting that zombies exist
in Haiti. If the scientist in the laboratory cannot find the proper dosage
for tetrodotoxin to create a zombie, can the "boko" (or zombie maker) do it
with less sophisticated means? I don't know the answer to that question, but
I am merely raising it for the purpose of discussion. In my own field
research, I did not observe the phenomenon of zombification.

I might also mention that all six samples that Wade Davis brought with him
from Haiti were examined by Dr. Kao at the Downstate Medical Center in New
York and Dr. Yasomuto in Japan. All of them were reported to contain traces
of tetrodotoxin, the active ingredient purported to create lethargy in
humans -- a required condition for zombification. But both scientists agreed
that there were such small traces of tetrodotoxin in these samples that 25
kilograms of zombie powder would have to be administered directly into the
bloodstream of a subject to create a lethargic effect. Moreover, these
samples contained other active and unknown ingredients that would likely
kill the person if 25 kilograms of this powder were to be injected
intravenously into a person's bloodstream. I am not a toxicologist and would
not pretend to be one, but I base my information related here on the article
in "Science" (Spring 1988), and on my own ongoing conversations with Dr. Kao
regarding Wade Davis' samples.

I have posted several comments about Wade Davis' research on this listserve
in the past. I have pointed out that I found serious flaws in Davis' method
of field research. I noted earlier that it was important to check and
cross-check one's field information carefully in different communities that
one studied. Haitian culture, like many others in the world, is an "oral"
culture, and stories abound throughout the country. These need to be studied
carefully and substantiated by careful, scientific observation in various
communities of Haiti (and with other parts of the world such as Japanese
cases for comparison), and by well documented cases described in the
scientific literature.

I should add that Davis has often been criticized by Haitian on the basis of
the film "The Serpent and the Rainbow", and not on his books. Let me make it
clear that his writings are quite different from the film. One should
suspend judgment of him until we've read both books, "Passage of Darkness"
and "The Serpent and the Rainbow".

Leslie G. Desmangles
Trinity College
Department of Religion and