7447: Re: 7443: Just returned from Haiti (fwd)

From: michael.o.leslie@gm.com

Ms Beverly Najt, I guess I'll have to take your comments with a huge, huge grain
of salt. Aristide sold his estate - I haven't followed the news on the
importance of Aristide's property. Does Aristide really own it or does it belong
to someone else-why should I care if he sells it?
Dirty planes? Rude crew? Again, I don't know what to say. I saw the dirty planes
and a very dirty airport when I was in Haiti last year - I didn't like it but it
didn't flip me out. Why are you shocked by being treated nice by a Haitian
flight attendant?
Here's a tip: competence or rudeness can come from Germans,  African Americans,
Poles, Jews, Arabs, Irish or Haitians. It's got nothing to do with nationality,
origins or race Ms. Naji. I was in Germany in 1992 and was held up by a racist
German immigration cop. That doesn't mean all German cops are racist, it means I
unfortunately had an encounter with one of the bad ones.
And on this thing about being embarrassed for Haitians, hmmmmm. Lets see...I'm
an African American male. When I see a criminal, a thug, a gangster rapper, a
pimp or buffoon who just happens to be an African American male I don't get
embarrassed. I try to realize that some Black men are bad, most of us are
decent, hardworking folk. I'm sure its the same with Haitians, so don't be
embarrassed Ms.Najt.
Thanks,
Michael Leslie
-