7546: Haitian women in New York: Position within social hierarchies (fwd)

From: Tara DePorte <taradeporte@hotmail.com>

Hello all,

I have written the list a few times concerning my own trip to haiti this
past January, issues of water and the environment, and women's' empowerment
in regards to social change in Haiti. THere are two reasons for this email
today.  1) I am writing a research paper(separate from my environmentally
minded thesis!) having to do with Haitian women and migration.
Specifically, I would like to know about the situation of these women in
NYC, the jobs they have, the ties they maintain with family in Haiti, and
the type of support systems (or lack there of) available in the city.  2) I
am very interested in finding out about organizations, NGO's, etc around the
country, and particularly in NYC, which deal with Haitian (exclusively or
not) issues surrounding environmental quality, gender issues, and support
systems in the US who might be hiring in the next year or so.  I would
really love to continue work in these areas, particularly in regards to
"development" issues and would love to know some of the organizations out
there.  I would also love the opportunity to return to Haiti.

If you are a Haitian woman in New York, or know someone who would be
available to answer some questions about your situation in the US, or if you
have any information about organizations to contact, please email me at
taradeporte@hotmail.com

Thank you so much for your time and for the dynamic conversations of this
list.

Sincerely,
Tara DePorte