7603: Another Death of a US Citizen (fwd)

From: Pascal Antoine <PascalA@freshcom.com>

I guess I found the answer to my question:

U.S. Citizen Shot to Death in Haiti

Updated 12:06 PM ET April 4, 2001

PORT-AU-PRINCE (Reuters) - An American mechanic working in Haiti was killed
in an apparent robbery attempt in one of the Haitian capital's most
dangerous neighborhoods, his employer said on Wednesday.
Alejandro Morales, 41, of Miami Lakes, Florida, was shot on Tuesday when he
refused to stop for a group of men who tried to flag him down in the
Drouillard district in north Port-au-Prince, said Reynold Bonnefil, owner of
Haytian Tractor.

"They tried to get him to stop and he took off, which is exactly what he
should have done, and they shot at him," Bonnefil said. "A bullet went
through his lungs and heart."

Morales, a specialized electronics mechanic, came to the Caribbean nation
last week to help set up a generator for Electricity of Haiti. Because of a
power shortage, the electricity plant struck a $5 million deal with Haytian
Tractor and Energy International to provide 20 megawatts of electricity for
eight months.

Morales' death marked the second time in less than two weeks that a U.S.
citizen has been shot dead by roaming thugs -- called "zenglendoes" in the
native Creole -- who mug and kill for money.

In an attempted robbery on March 23, Maureen Neilson, a 26-year-old
orphanage worker, was shot dead after she left a bank in the capital. She
had no money.

Haiti is the western hemisphere's poorest country. Minimum wage is less than
$2 a day and 62 percent of the people are malnourished.
Pascal Antoine
HaitiXchange
http://www.HaitiXchange.com