7748: Re: Seeking Approval at Summit, Aristide Slapped Instead , (fwd)

From: drgill <drgill@clas.net>

Kim Ives wrote:
> After Seattle, Porto Alegre, Prague, and Davos, the struggle against
capitalist-led
> globalization took a major step forward in Quebec the weekend of April
20-April 22,
> 2001.

***a few protesters will not stop the juggernaut known as "free
trade"........NAFTA is only the beginning, in that there is a legitimate
concern that as Europe consolidates as an economic entity, this will
undercut North/South America in future trade............thus, we see the
Summit of the Americas.........

this is not globalization......rather, it is regionalization...........it
will continue, as the leaders, regardless of their political "bent" will see
the necessity............in fact, they already see it, else the recent
Quebec meetings would have attended by lower level officials from the
participating countries...........

and, "free trade" will hurt some existing industries, and a brief look at
the US will show that, in that NAFTA has had a negative effect on certain
production programs..........it has hurt a few Canadian and Mexican
industries also............the removal of tariffs always does this, in that
when a tariff is removed, those industries that have depended on "protective
tariffs" will have to compete in the open market...........some
cannot..........

Mark Gill