7792: Manners (#7747; #7718) (fwd)

From: Karen Davis <kdavis@marygrove.edu>

I asked, and . . . My Haitian husband says that even children should look
directly  at an adult speaking to them. In fact, you should NOT stare or
look at someone who is NOT speaking to you (nosiness), but it is
disrespectful to NOT look at someone directly if they are speaking to you.
In fact, to show someone how much you disrespect them, if they are speaking
to you, you take off your shoe, and hold up the sole of the shoe to them (as
if to say, you are dirt, you are shit, I walk on you).

Karen F. Davis, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Head of Humanities Department
Marygrove College
Detroit, Michigan 48221 USA
Telephone: 313-927-1352
email: kdavis@marygrove.edu