7868: Highlights of Radio Signal FM news (fwd)

From: Max Blanchet <maxblanchet@worldnet.att.net>

Haiti: Highlights of Radio Signal FM news 1230 gmt 11 May 01
BBC Monitoring Service - United Kingdom; May 12, 2001

"0730 Appointment" news; figures in brackets indicate times in minutes
elapsed since start of programme; passages within double oblique strokes in
French

1.[00] Headlines.

2. [04] An exploratory visit on the country's political situation is being
carried out. In fact, the members of the joint OAS-Caricom delegation met
yesterday with President Jean-Bertrand Aristide, the leaders of the
Democratic Convergence, and representatives of civil society on the crisis
Haiti is experiencing today. The members of the joint OAS-Caricom delegation
are paving the way for the visit by the OAS secretary general to the Haitian
capital. During the meeting that the delegation had yesterday morning at the
National Palace with President Aristide, the Haitian president once again
invited the Convergence to a meeting at the National Palace to resolve the
crisis. The Presidential Press Service described the meeting between the
OAS-Caricom delegation and the leader of the Lavalas Family, FL, as
satisfactory.

3. [10] The OAS-Caricom delegation met separately yesterday afternoon with
representatives of both the opposition and civil society. On this occasion,
the members of the Convergence, the main Haitian opposition groups, gave the
OAS-Caricom mission a memorandum. According to Convergence spokesman Micha
Gaillard, this document contains several proposals for the resolution of the
crisis. Gaillard gives information on the issues discussed with the OAS. He
explains that the OAS mission members say that they are carrying out an
"exploratory mission" in Haiti. The Civil Society Initiative Group, GISC,
also met with the OAS mission to exchange information. Their next meeting
will be held on the morning of 12 May, at the latest. GISC spokesmen Edouard
Paultre and Rosny Desroches comment on the issues they discussed with the
OAS. If no agreement is reached between the Haitian protagonists by 2-3
June, the OAS will consider adopting several sanctions against Haiti in
order to force the political rulers to unblock the country. Einaudi did not
want to make any comments after the meeting.

4. [13] Headlines and ads.

5. [17] It is not question of meeting with Jean-Bertrand Aristide at the
National Palace, because he has no legitimacy. This is a statement by
Professor Hubert de Ronceray, one of the Convergence spokesmen. According to
De Ronceray, the Convergence has not received any official invitation for a
possible meeting at the palace. However, he says, in the event that such an
invitation is received, they will decline without further ado.

6. [19] The president of the controversial National Assembly vehemently
denounces the intransigence of the opposition officials. Their refusal to
negotiate will cause the crisis to worsen. Yvon Neptune speaks about the
continuation of the coup d'etat cycle that the country has experienced in
recent years. According to the president of the contested National Assembly,
the Convergence officials do not want the crisis to be resolved at all. He
reiterates the position of the Lavalas officials, who are willing to make
the necessary corrections to the 21 May 2000 elections.

7. [21] More than 15 employers' associations have a issued a document on how
to get out of the crisis. They suggest that the 21 May elections be
cancelled and that new elections be held. Maurice Lafortune, former minister
of commerce and spokesman for the employers' associations, answered
questions from Signal FM correspondent Roosevelt Benjamin. Lafortune says
the document is mainly based on the recent proposal by the Centre for Free
Enterprise and Democracy, CLED. Lafortune says: "//We have supported CLED's
proposal. We are also saying that, in addition to the 21 May legislative
elections, we think that the elections for mayors, Communal Section
Assemblies, ASECs, and Communal Section Administration Councils, CASECs,
should be held again, too. We think this is necessary because the country's
economic situation is disastrous.// Furthermore, Lafortune says: "//It is
quite normal that we make this remark. Everything must start over.//"
Lafortune says that this is the only way the situation can be unblocked.
Furthermore, Lafortune says: "//All we have asked is that a political
agreement should result from the meeting between the protagonists.//" In
conclusion, Lafortune says: "//This project has been submitted to both
protagonists. We have put it at the disposal of the public, as well.//"

8. [24] The president of the Provisional Electoral Council, CEP, Alix
Lamarque, says he will comply with any and all decisions that might result
from the negotiations between the FL and the Convergence for the resolution
the crisis. In a message to the nation dated 10 May, Lamarque speaks of his
willingness to hold free, honest, and transparent elections in the country.
He thinks that a serious conversation between the protagonists would be good
for the country. An excerpt from Lamarque's statements follows: "//The CEP
for 2001 comes from various horizons. It is first and foremost made up of
professionals and technicians: engineers, medical doctors, writers,
diplomats, educators, lawyers, and church people, whose experience,
savoir-faire, and well-proven rectitude fully dilute any political
colouration, as well as any partisan interest. We form an impartial CEP that
is above the parties and that is attached only to the technical nature of
our task and to the holding of elections.//" Lamarque says that the current
CEP has the personal resources and the willingness to help Haiti out of the
crisis. He adds: "//We are all willing to get Haiti out of the area of doubt
and international suspicion by holding transparent elections that are
verifiable everywhere, at all levels - elections that nobody can
question.//"

10. [33] Economic segment by Georges Henry, Jr, on the decline of the
Japanese economy.

11. [38] Ads, followed by international news.

12. [43] Former Senator Paul Denis yesterday answered the invitation of
examining judge Joel St Clair [phonetic] to appear before the court. Denis
had to answer questions regarding the incident during which an individual
was shot and killed and several others injured with bullets during an armed
confrontation following attempts by pro-Lavalas people's organization
members to burn the Convergence headquarters in Pont-Morin. Denis comments:
"//I am satisfied. I had to do my duty as a citizen. Because the court
called me, I showed up. I was asked questions. I answered the questions. My
job is done." Furthermore, Denis says: "//I have been invited to appear as a
witness. I have not been charged. I am at the disposal of the court// in the
event that they need more information from me." In response to a
journalist's question, Denis says: "/I answered the questions I could answer
and did not answer the ones that I could not answer. I have not been
charged.//" Asked whether he was questioned about the presence of heavy
weapons at the premises of the Struggling People's Organization, he replies:
"Many questions. Many questions. //Politics is everywhere.//"

13. [46] Lawyer Reynold Georges, one of Denis's lawyers, is worried because
his client was allowed to appear by himself before the examining judge,
contrary to the provisions of the Constitution. Georges made the following
statements: "We, the lawyers for Senator Denis, energetically protest
because they heard our client in our absence, contrary to the provisions of
the Constitution." Lawyer Georges adds: "We energetically protest that, and
we reserve the right to lodge complaints to the bar against this act of
brigandage."

14. [47] The Senate of the Republic yesterday approved a bill to fight drug
trafficking. Former Justice Minister Camille Leblanc brought in this law
before the parliament in January. The Chamber of Deputies passed this
20-article bill in March. Justice Minister Garry Lissade says this law will
allow the government to strengthen the measures to fight drug trafficking in
Haiti.

16. [52] The Ministry of Public Health and Population announces that it is
going to carry out a national vaccination campaign against polio, in
cooperation with the Ministry of National Education. This campaign enjoys
the technical and financial support of the WHO, the Pan-American Health
Organization, UNICEF, and the World Bank. The campaign will be carried out
in five communes of the metropolitan area of Port-au-Prince from 21 May to 1
June and afterward in the rest of the country. One of the programme's
officials explains that students will be vaccinated in schools throughout of
the country. Health Minister Henry-Claude Voltaire explains that an amount
of $500,000 is available to carry out this campaign.

17. [56] A total of 3,509 Haitians who were living illegally in the
Dominican Republic were repatriated to Haiti by the Dominican authorities
from January to April, according to the Information Centre on Haitian
Migration, CIMH, an organization that works on the cases of illegal Haitian
immigrants. The CIMH says the new Dominican administration has shown more
understanding about the presence of Haitians who illegally reside in the
Dominican Republic.

18. [58] News summary.

Source: Signal FM Radio, Port-au-Prince, in Creole 1230 gmt 11 May 01

/BBC Monitoring/ © BBC