8076: Re: 8070: re: 8067 reply from Darian Arky (fwd)

From: "Benjamin J. Hebblethwaite" <bhebblet@indiana.edu>

Dear Darian and Veronika,

An indispensable tool or arm of assertion and defense in Haiti is study of the
Haitian Creole language and Haitian culture.  No other measure will work
as well to defray your tension and allow you grow and mature in Haiti.
You are fearful, and I too have been so in Haiti, but strengthening your
language skills and cultural knowledge will raise you to a plateau where
you are able to experience Haiti and Haitians on their own ground and in
their own amazing ways.  The strength of my own Creole has always been my
greatest asset in Haiti, otherwise the visitor is as if mute in the most
communicative nation on earth!  So don't forget, as the moto of Bon Nouvèl
goes: "Baton ki nan men ou, se ak li ou pare kou" - "You ready yourself
for the attack with the stick that's in your hand."

Benjamin Hebblethwaite
Research Assistant
Creole Institute
Indiana University