8220: 8191 Mambo Racine and AIDS (fwd)

From: JHUDICOURTB@aol.com

Mambo Racine writes:
"There is more - Johns Hopkins and Dr. Reginald Boulos' partnership in Cite
Soleil, for example.

In this situation, every person and every house in Cite Soleil had a number,
given to people and painted on houses by Dr. Boulos' employees.  Every
person's food allotment, every person's vaccinations (from numbered,
catalogued lots of vaccines) were recorded and entered in that database at
L'Hospital St. Catherine de Laboure, under the direction of Dr. Boulos.  Then
Johns Hopkins sat back and watched as AIDS and it's buddy tuberculosis ate
their way through Cite Soleil.  They never treated anyone, they didn't try to
deter the spread of AIDS, they didn't inform people of the results of their
blood tests, they just kept on recording.  It doesn't take a genius to deduce
what was in those vaccines, or why the AIDS rate in Cite Soleil is much
higher than in other, comparable slum areas of Port-au-Prince."

I think Americans who act like Mambo Racine should be denounced.  The first
part of her statement shows that the Cite Soley clinic had a thorough
knowledge of the population it was serving.  The second part about the lack
of treatment shows that the clinic did not have the means to treat AIDS.  She
acts as if there are international conspiracies to exterminate Haitians.  I
believe she is influenced by some incompetent Haitians.  There are hundreds
of American missions all over Haiti where Americans practice whatever they
want, and treat people however they want.  Some may do a lot of good, some
may do a lot of harm.  When a Haitian doctor like Dr. Boulos has a clinic in
Cite Soleil that becomes unacceptable.  The reason many find it unacceptable
has nothing to do with the Mambo's allegation of contamination .   Every time
a Haitian tries to build something private to serve other Haitians, people
find it suspicious.  Many hold the belief that "Depi nan ginen, neg rayi neg"
 and they cannot believe that good work can be done by a Haitian without
exploitative motives.  They believe that only religious people can do good
work, especially if they are Americans.  If a Haitian does good work it
embarasses the government because a working non-religious institution proves
that good work can be accomplished by Haitians.  Immediately, the government
and other jealous lazy people are out to get you and destroy you.
Unfortunately Dr. Boulos's clinic in Cite Soley has been destroyed.  What has
replaced it Mambo?  Where do the people of Cite Soley get their health care?
Do you know a centre de Sante run by the Aristide/Preval governement
providing good health care, keeping accurate records on the neighborhood, and
providing vaccination and food to the children as you say L'Hopital Ste
Catherine did?
By the way, I have not met Dr.Boulos but my Haitian family has a long
tradition of work in medicine in Haiti.  My grandfather and both my parents,
and 3 of my sisters went to the Haitian medical school as did Dr. Boulos.
Most people I know believed that Dr. Boulos' clinic in Cite Soley was doing
outstanding work.