8244: Re: 8231: AIDS AND THE BASHING OF HAITI (fwd)

From: Racine125@aol.com

Reginald, you made the comments and you asked the questions, so don't
complain about what I am about to say.

In a message dated 6/7/2001 1:00:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Reginald Boulos
 writes:

<< Patients with AIDS received counseling about AIDS prevention. Of course,
we could not treat them. Maybe, our Mambo could have been useful doing some
fundraising for AIDS treatment. This would have been made a difference. >>

Maybe you could stop making assumptions that I did not.  It is indisputable
that treatment at the Hospital St. Catherine de Laboure and your other
centers was fee-for-service, no fee no service.  I know, I paid for enough of
it for members of the peristyle with which I was affiliated.

And what do you mean, of course you could not treat them?  There is a real
public health project in Cange on the central plateau, run by a real public
health organization, Partners in Health.  And they do just exactly that -
they provide free treatment to people with AIDS.

There was another real public health project just outside Jacmel, run by
genuinely motivated doctors, a married couple.  They provided free treatment
for people with TB, until they refused to share their medication with a
Cedras-era government minister, at which point one night they were attacked
with machetes by thugs.  The man died but the woman lived to accuse those she
held responsible

I brought to the Hospital St. Catherine one night a man mortally burned by
electrocution.  The doctor in charge refused to give the man, who was
screaming in agony, any morphine.  Finally I said, "Here, here is money, I
will pay", and the doctor revealed that there was no morphine in the whole
hospital, because "the people with the keys take it and sell it".  Who had
the keys, if not the doctor?

I took a woman to that hospital who had "zona", you know, one of those
illnesses associated with the onset of AIDS.  She had a blood test, which I
paid for, and which a hospital employee revealed to me was positive.  They
told this woman nothing about how she might have got the disease, how to
avoid transmitting it, what she might expect... nothing.  What kind of
counseling was THAT?

Obviously any claimed counseling wasn't done very well, since young adults in
Cite Soley had an HIV infection rate of about 40% in one study I read.  I
never saw your people out in the streets with leaflets, never saw them
passing out condoms, never heard you saturate the airwaves with information,
never saw any outreach people going door-to-door on your behalf, nothing.

And maybe you could tell us why you and your people were so hated in Cite
Soley that crowds stoned your car, or why you were run right out of the area
when you had the nerve to think you could run for president?  And how about
Sony Philogene, remember him?  Would you like to comment on his case, or
should I?

How about your collaborator, Amy Sandridge, who worked in the Hospital St.
Catherine de Laboure for Johns Hopkins?  I vividly remember her cure for
overpopulation in Cite Soley - "Well, just don't treat for syphilis and
things like that, and let nature take it's course."

<< Go and ask them! Probably our mambo have never visited Cite Soleil and
would not even date to go there.>>

Yet another lie.  I LIVED, 24 hours a day, in Cite Soleil.  My address was
Soleil 17, in the Belekou area, at the peristyle right at the bend in the
road.  Why would I not "dare to go there"?  The people of Cite Soley are not
such beasts as you seem to think.

I videotaped the Cite Soleil Massacre, in which seven men lost their lives at
the hands of the Haitian National Police.  I provided that tape to the
Civilian Mission, and to the Inspector General of the Haitian National Police.

I also filmed women favored by individuals in your organization with much
more than their fair share of food aid, sitting right outside the gates of
your distribution center, selling dozens of bags of rice and beans and
oatmeal and milk powder or flour, whatever it was.  This food aid was
supposed to be given to hungry people according to their need, not forked
over wholesale to somebody's "madanm" so she could sell if for cash.  And I
was threatened physically by one of your employees for filming!  The
videotape is still in my possession.

I was also a member of the UN / OAS Joint Civilian Mission during part of
that time, and did investigations of human rights violations of all sorts.
Your name came up linked to everything from arson to intimidation to ripping
off workmen to collaboration with FRAPH, so don't try that stuff with me.  My
credibility is not in question, I saw what I saw and I heard what I heard,
and I am not afraid to report it.

<< to please Mallebranche and his cronies like our "MAMBO". >>

I have never even met Mallebranche, and my name is not "our Mambo", it is Bon
Mambo Racine Sans Bout Sa Te La Daginen, otherwise Kathy S. Grey, Master of
Science.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra" - Good is rare
     Haitian Proverb