8303: Haitians in Puerto Rico? (fwd)

From: Daniel Schweissing <dan_schweissing@hotmail.com>

Greetings,

I am curious to know if anyone on the list has any knowledge of Haitian
immigrants residing in Puerto Rico.  Specifically, I am interested in
knowing what the approximate Haitian population is and in what geographic
areas they are residing.

When I was an instructor at the InterAmerican University of Puerto Rico in
San German, I became acquinted with the rather large contingent of Haitian
students studying on that campus.  (In fact, IAU even has an alumni chapter
in Haiti due to its numerous graduates from that country.)  Likewise, I am
aware that many of the Dominican citizens residing in D.R. are actually
_dominicohaitianos_ that is Dominicans of Haitian parentage.

What I do not know, however, is whether or not there is a permanant
community of Haitian immigrants residing in P.R. as there is in Miami, Santo
Domingo, etc.

Thanks for your input on these questions!

Daniel Schweissing