8363: Re: 8354: Steven Salinger's WHITE DARKNESS (fwd)

From: Racine125@aol.com

<< I finished reading Steven Salinger's thriller WHITE DARKNESS last week and
 couldn't put it down. One aspect of the book that he didn't mention is the
 humor in addition to its being a positive depiction of Vodou and Haitian
 culture in general. I recommend the novel especially to those who need a
 break from all the bad news coming out of Haiti right now.  >>

I loved it too!  Aside from a few minor inaccuracies in the behavior of lwa
(Erzulie Freda never curses, for instance, she hates bad language and that is
one reason she can't stand Gede or Baron), I thought the book was dynamite.

The only problem I had was with the female characters - way oversexualized
and not one takes an active role, they are victims, they are constantly being
raped or beaten or whatever, but only one character, Madame Sirene Arcenciel,
actually takes initiative anyplace but in bed.

However, the male characters were really well drawn - the criminalistic Army
officer, the refugee, the Jewish jewelry dealer.  There was no patronizing,
no charicaturization, just believable people facing one unexpected turn after
another.  I read the book in two settings, once I got started I couldn't put
it down.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra" - Good is rare
     Haitian Proverb