8555: haiti thesis, jobs in NYC (fwd)

From: Tara DePorte <taradeporte@hotmail.com>

Dear Corbettres,

  I am writing this email to invite both comments and criticism concerning
my recently finished undergraduate thesis.I have requested information from
this list and have enjoyed many interesting discussions over the past year
or so and would love any input from the lists distinguished participants.
  I just graduated from the University of Virginia and wrote my thesis
concerning water quality issues in Haiti.It is an interdisciplinary approach
to both anthropological and environmental issues.  Overall, the work both
outlines many of my philosophies and is hopefully an introduction to the
continuation of my work in both Haiti and dealing with this subject matter.
  I would like to thank all of you on the list who have guided me to people,
places and organisations in all hopes that I may do the same in the
future.As I have now graduated, I am looking to move to NYC and am in the
midst of looking for work there.If any of you have any further suggestions
of people or org. that I should contact, please let me know. I have included
my thesis abstract at the end of this message and feel free to contact me.
My thesis and resume are available to any and all at my site
http://www.geocities.com/taradeporte/tara.html

Again, I would love criticism, critique, comments....Thank you again and
good luck

Sincerely,
Tara DePorte

please respond to taradeporte@hotmail.com

Redefining Water Quality Issues in Rural Haiti: An Interdisciplinary
Approach
Universtiy of Virginia Undergraduate Thesis, 2001
Interdisciplinary Distinguished Majors Program: Human Impacts on Ecosystems

Readers

Professor Fred Damon, UVA Department of Anthropology
Dr. Fred Diehl, UVA Department of Biology
Professor Hank Shugart, UVA Department of Environmental Sciences

Contact Information
Tara DePorte
3899 Bradwater Street
Fairfax, VA 22031
703) 323-9409
taradeporte@hotmail.com

Thesis Abstract (157 pages)

  This work focuses on the redefinitionof water quality in the Haitian
landscape through an interdisciplinary approach.  Subsequently, ideas of
environmental restoration are dealt with by exploring many of the
multifaceted perspectives oflocal water quality issues in rural Haiti, while
emphasizing the often-overlooked role of the rural Haitian in the Haitian
landscape. This paper is an exploration of some of the ways Haitians might
see their landscape, today and throughout history, through the use of
biological and anthropological methods of quantitative and qualitative
analysis and observation.
  The movement of natural resources across social and historical boundaries,
the importance of understanding the many-leveled dependency of man and their
environment, and hypotheses of the translation of Haitian spirituality and
symbolism into everyday man/land interactions are all explored.Additionally,
generalities concerning local and indigenous knowledge are disputed in this
work through the acknowledgement of the wealth of information and resources
currently available within the Haitian landscape.
The purpose of this paper is to be the introductory work towards a long-term
goal and project of transforming concepts of local empowerment,
environmental restoration and cultural sensitivity.  To view the paper in
its entirety, please go to

http://www.geocities.com/taradeporte/tara.html