8608: The Aristide presidency: The Terror Challenge (fwd)

From: Jraphaelg@aol.com

Those who think that Free Trade only implies the transfer of goods from one
country to another ought to think twice.  It also means the exchange of Heads
of State who do not play by the rules as set forth by the International
Consciousness ... We have seen an Alberto Fujimori ousted for  Incapacité
morale permanente, a Joseph Estrada, impeached and incarcerated for abuse of
power and corruption.  Closer to us, my friends, we have Le Maître de Belgrade
 behind bars in the Netherlands.   This is what George Bush Sr. would call a
QUID PRO QUO.  Milo’s head is very beneficial to the poor Yogoslavic
republic: one billion and two hundred fifty million US dollars.  Is Haiti far
from benefiting from such a deal? You be the judge!!!

LIHADH

Human rights/ The Aristide presidency

THE TERROR CHALLENGE : WHAT DID THE CLINTON-GORE ADMINISTRATION ACHIEVE, IN
HAITI, IN OCTOBER 1994 ?

By the Haitian-American League for Human Rights

While Colin Powell, the first African-American to become secretary of
state“is doing everything he can to keep the peace process moving forward”
in the Middle East, Haiti is gasping for its last breath.  Last month, Mr.
Arrested stunned nation.  He went to the national police headquarters and
said(on t.v) to the policemen” from now on when you arrest a thief kill him.
Since then across the country Aristide’s supporters keep burning people
alive.  The Haitian-American League for Human Rights denounces this kind of
his behavior as a subversion of the basics of democracy

In his ON WAR, Written more than one hundred years ago, the wise Prussian
Karl Von Clausewitz wrote “no one starts a war or rather no one in his senses
should do so without first being clear in his mind what he intends to achieve
by that war and how he intends to achieve it”.  Mistake number one in Haiti
which led to Clausewitz’s rule number two.  “ political leaders must set a
war’s objectives while armies achieve them’”.

In October 1994, when former president Bill Clinton and his people used
taxpayer fund- $ 4 billion- and twenty thousand troops to “RESTORE
DEMOCRACY” IN Haiti what was in fact their purpose? What was the state of
their minds?  What do they intend to achieve?

History will respond!

However as a human rights organization we have to take issue with them on the
sorry state of the US foreign policy toward Haiti.  The people of Haiti are
not better off than  twenty years ago- no electricity, no clean water, no
adequate sanitation facilities- Mr. Clinton and his friends have only
created a permanent under-class of pauper people see king hands out at the
beginning of the twenty first century.

THE ILLEGAL ARREST AND IMPRISONMENT OF EX-PRESIDENT PROSPER AVRIL

The country belongs to 4 percent of Haitians.  Those in power in the name of
restoring democracy are an Island of new millionaires in a vast sea of
despair, despotism, and cynical opposition.  What the hell kind of leaders
does Haiti have?

How can they talk about peace and democracy when the country had become a
save heaven for drug traffickers who have the power to name their own judges,
whereas political leaders are still in exile?

The recent arrest and imprisonment of ex-president Prosper Avril- although a
ruling of the Appeal court, Mr. Avril is still in jail!- member of the
Democratic Convergence signifies a major defeat for the rule of law

A BIN LADEN COMPLEX

It makes our blood boil to think that the LAVALAS REGIME has a BIN LADEN COM
PLEX.  Its leaders cannot operate out of their TERROR NETWORK Is there an
“homme serieux” in both the literal and broader senses among those in power
who pretend to want peace, to “ negotiate”? Had it has not been the reading
of Nelson Mandela’s LONG WALK TO FREEDOM we would have lost faith in the
STRUGGLE.

When we look into the facts nothing in his past seemed to show that Mister de
KLERK would change South Africa one day in “one sweeping action”.  Remember
as education minister he had tried to keep black students out of white
universities.  Astonishingly on August 1989, two days after he sworn in as
acting president in his inaugural address de Klerk said his government was
committed to peace and that it would negotiate with any other group committed
to peace.

>From jail, Nelson Mandela wrote him a letter and asked a meeting.  Mandela
started meeting with a secret negotiating committee- only in Haiti
negotiation is not secret headed by Gerrit Viljoen, a brilliant mind with a
doctorate in classics.  His role? bring the discussion into a constitutional
framework.

What did Nelson Mandela do? he pressed the government to show evidence of its
good faith by releasing political prisoners at Pools Moor and Robben Island
While he promised the committee that the government could expect discipline
behavior from them, they had to be released unconditionally.

The prisoners were released five days later . “ It was, wrote Nelson Mandela,
an action that rightly evoked praise here and abroad and I conveyed my
appreciation to mister de Klerk.  Then- after his ten thousand days of
imprisonment- Mandela added “to make peace with an enemy one must work with
that enemy and that enemy becomes one’s partner”

Neither mister Aristide’s Lavalas party nor his network terror can have such
greatness  If you think Prosper Avril can write Jean Bertrand Aristide
requesting a meeting... then meet with him in his palace urging him to
release political prisoners to display evidence of his good intention you are
a fool !!!

TWO FUNDAMENTAL CHALLENGES

Aristide himself is a prisoner.  We have learned from Mandela “ A man who
takes away another man’s freedom is a prisoner of hatred, he is locked behind
the bars of prejudice and narrow-mindedness.  I am not truly free if I am
taking away someone else’s freedom just as surely I am not free when my
freedom is taken from me.  The oppressed and the oppressor alike are robbed
of their humanity”

America is a nation dedicated to the rule of law; as a practical matter, this
means that it is a nation ruled, effectively, by lawyers.  It is becoming a
country obsessed with due process, virtually, to the exclusion of
expeditiously applied  justice  Two fundamental challenges remain in the
fight against the LAVALAS REGIME’s TERROR NETWORK.  one is to ascertain, what
its links might be with sophisticated international sponsors of violence such
as the dangerous Colombian drug Lords.  The other is to prevail on the
protectors of The Aristide’s Lavalas Party on THE HILL in order to remind
Americans and the rest of the world that terrorists like any other criminals,
may be caught, tried, and punished for their crimes.

 The United States of America won’t win the war on drug if they don’t help
to bring integrity to the Haitian criminal-justice system.  THE WALL STREET
JOURNAL may 29,2001-had it right.  “ For people connected with the
Clinton-presidency-cum political machine to attach themselves like pilot fish
 to the bleeding ruin of Haiti under Jean Bertrand Aristide, in the wake of
an enormous commitment of American prestige and money on behalf of Haiti’s
people, doesn’t survive any conceivable smell test”

How could this happen here at this place- right in the back yard of America -
one man only one man, set up his own parliament and uses the judicial system
to intimidate and arrest his political and economic opponents?

LI.H.A.D.H

”