9149: Floridians help build Haiti Tec (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Floridians help build Haiti Tec
YVES COLON
ycolon@herald.com

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti -- When Roosevelt Louis-Jean first came to work at the
water bottling plant, the noise of the pistons and wheels on the machines
sounded like a foreign language.

Even though he was educated beyond high school, Louis-Jean felt lucky to be
putting caps on the bottles as they came off the conveyor belt. He had a
job, a valuable prize in Haiti, where more than half of the men his age are
unemployed. As time went by, Louis-Jean picked up a few sounds here and
there from the machines, but they still didn't mean much.

Last November, though, the lanky 34-year-old did something that changed his
life. He went back to school, he said, to learn the machines' language.

``Now when I look at a machine in a factory, I know what it means, how it
works,'' Louis-Jean said. ``After this I'll know who I am, and that I'm not
just anybody.''

This fall, Louis-Jean signed up for his second session at Haiti Tec, a trade
school built by an alliance between South Floridians and Haitian
businessmen. Only in its first year, the school is generating high hopes,
and dreams, especially in a country that attracts foreign investment only
because of an abundance of cheap labor. Skilled labor has been chronically
in short supply.

Haiti Tec is significant because of the interest and commitment from South
Florida, which has one of the largest Haitian communities, and one of the
most politically active, in the United States. Noteworthy also is the
participation of the small, predominantly light-skinned Haitian business
elite, which has taken to heart criticism over the years for its hands-off
attitude toward the development of their poorer, and black, fellow citizens.

To understand why Louis-Jean is pinning his hopes on Haiti Tec, it is
important to understand that few young Haitians who graduate from secondary
school can afford a university education. Those who can usually choose
medicine or law, the most prestigious professions. They are at one end of
the scale. At the other are a great number of young Haitians who are either
illiterate or functionally illiterate. In the middle are thousands and
thousands like Louis Pierre, with a high school education and no work. Those
who find work are the lucky ones. Others, discouraged and desperate, flee
their homeland, heading to Miami and New York, where they can find
well-paying jobs and build meaningful lives.

This exodus, Haitian businessmen complain, has forced them to look across
the border in the Dominican Republic, or in Jamaica, for a good plumber or a
good mechanic.

``We had to fill that void if we wanted to rebuild the country,'' said
Jean-Edouard Baker, a prominent businessman who, with colleagues, will pay
Haiti Tec's operating costs.

In a sense, Haiti Tec's story is about hope, and the people of South Florida
-- whites, blacks, Cuban Americans, Christians and Jews -- feature
prominently in it. Some raised money for the school, others opened their
pockets. Many others gave of their time to train the school's teachers.

The day before the grand opening earlier this month, painters were applying
coats of gray, yellow and blue paint to the walls. Activity around the
classrooms was frenetic, as students and workers applied finishing touches
to tables, chairs, computers.

When the school opened last year, said director Michelle Guillaume, 90
students signed up. Many were interested in anything to do with
communications, whether it is computers, telephones, or beepers. Others
signed up for plumbing, electrical work, building and construction and
refrigeration mechanics.

``Five years ago there were no cellular phones here,'' Guillaume said.
``There are a lot of demands for that now. It's new, so the students all
want to do it.

``We value technology here, but we don't keep up. We wait until things break
down, so we need people to fix them.''

Guillaume, who studied in Canada and returned to Haiti years ago, said Haiti
Tec has tried to do what other technical schools could not do to fill the
needs of the market.

``We have worked with the business sector to know what the needs are. We
have become partners.''

The sessions last four months, and each costs about 4,500 gourdes, Haiti's
currency, or about $150. Students need three sessions before they graduate.
The school awards five scholarships for every term, and there are plans for
many more. The new school term beginning this month will have 300 students.

``Some are interested in what we're doing, but we don't have money,'' she
said. ``We would like to get to a point where half of the students get
financial aid. We want to make it easier for them.''

Sem St. Elien, 31, heard about Haiti Tec on the radio. He took a tap tap, a
small, colorful bus that serves as Haiti's main means of transportation in
the cities, to the school. A social-science teacher and an official with the
Haitian Football Association, St. Elien said he wanted to be marketable.

``I want to be able to move with myself, with my hands,'' he said. ``I want
to become the business. When you work for somebody else, you can be fired,
all kinds of things can happen to you. When you have the skills in your
hands, nothing can happen. If I'm strong and my hands can work, I can work.
I want to have the training to be marketable. I want to improve my life.''

Yves McKendy Pierre-Louis is already convinced that his life will improve.
He's in the construction sequence, learning how to put up walls. He sees the
big picture.

``I expect that soon, we'll need hotels, roads, airports,'' he said. ``I'll
be needed. All of us here will be needed. That's progress.''