9691: By Smarck MICHEL ex lavalas' Prime Minister: Thats enough! These power hungry individuals must leave! (fwd)

From: Robert Benodin <r.benodin@worldnet.att.net>

These power hungry individuals must leave!
By Smarck MICHEL That’s enough!
We have come full circle. We have made a complete return to where we
started. Wrenched by thousands from Africa, thrown naked like animals into
the bottom of the ships, creatures without soul or dignity in the eyes of
those savages who were the slave traders, here we are, in 2001, three
centuries later, naked like animals, creatures without soul or dignity in
the eyes of those savages who are our jailers, on the cemented yard of the
National Penitentiary of Haiti.
However, 198 years went by since we declared our Independence, and 11 years
since "Lavalas" took power with the slogan "All people are people."
The picture published in the front page of the Nouvelliste on Friday,
November 16, 2001 will remain in the mind of everyone, and particularly
those persons who lived during several days, months and years naked like
animals, creatures without soul or dignity in the eyes of those savages who
were there jailers on the concrete floor of the cells of Fort-Dimanche.
It is unfortunate that the picture was published in the front page without a
caption, without an outraged editorial, without a thought for the dignity of
those human beings and the humiliation caused to them by such a display,
without a word for the fathers, mothers and children of those individuals
lying on the concrete yard of the National Penitentiary and embarrassingly
trying to hide their nudity under the laughing eyes of a young reporter
caught by the camera. That laughter was indeed a nervous one, but it reveals
the extent of the damage caused in our minds by the process of
dehumanization, and by the lack of respect for others and for ourselves.
That image would have been chocking, even if the prisoners had been
convicted of a crime. It is known, however, that most of them were in
preventive detention.
Are we, as Haitians, condemned to transmit from generation to generation
such a low level of self-esteem? Are we condemned to produce, from
generation to generation, that kind of slave drivers, only interested in
their selfish interests, that kind of governments who succeed one another in
power, where they arrive poor and leave rich while the Nation is becoming
poorer?
If the symbol evoked by that image in the front page of the newspaper did
not provoke general condemnation, it would then be true that people only get
the government that they deserve, and that the mediocrity, greed,
demagoguery and meanness of our own only represent the unbearable image of
ourselves.
Enough of the downfall of the values of Humanity!
Enough of the attempts to corrupt the youth!
Enough of the murders!
Enough of the contempt for others and ourselves!
Can we not come out of that nightmare and wake up to a new life? The
problems are many, and the obstacles enormous, but if we are to overcome,
the collective will must be heard.
Our efforts must spring from self-respect and respect for others. Those who
lead the community must be motivated by the duty to serve, and not by their
hunger for power.
When the slogan "Makouts are Out" was the order of the day, we thought that
it meant "Makout" mentality and "Makout" behavior. With that image just
published, we understand now that it only meant the promotion of a new class
of slave drivers to perpetuate Fort-Dimanche.
It is still time to stop the mess. Those who are only driven by their hunger
for power must leave, so that the Nation can find a chance to recover its
betrayed Dignity.
Smarck MICHEL
 Le Nouvelliste, November 19, 2001