9714: Re: 9695: Karshan's response to corruption (fwd)

From: kevin pina <kpinbox@hotmail.com>

On the issue of corruption, it was announced yesterday that two members of
the General Directorate of Customs in Port au Prince were arrested after
more than 1,000,000 gourds in import taxes were discovered missing. In
addition, it was also announced that Depute Placide of the West department
was also arrested in connection with running a gang of kidnappers in Port au
Prince. Why is it I read so much about Lavalas corruption in the foreign
press but yet I not seen any mention these events.

Now I hear a lot of charges of corruption these days, most left
uncorroborated or purposely explained in the most complicated of fashions
that one might be tempted to accept them through sheer exhaustion. The news
of yesterday's arrests run completely contrary to such obfuscations as the
message is quite simple, use the power of your office to embezzle state
funds or to run with hoodlums then you go to jail.

I expect the usual smoke and mirrors teams to begin spinning in overtime.