9739: Slavery - USA - Democracy - Haiti (Saint-Vil replies to Heiln and anonymous) fwd (fwd)

From: Jean Saint-Vil <jafrikayiti@hotmail.com>

Onè,

To my observation that White Supremacy as it was practiced in the U.S. (at
least up to 1860 - involving Institutionalised Racial Slavery) cannot and
should not be equated with Democracy, M. Heiln responded that « Even the
Athenians, considered to be the originators of Democracy, owned slaves and
restricted suffrage». He further specified that, in his opinion, «Haiti
should be considered the newest (if it can be considered such at the moment)
democracy in the Western Hemisphere, not the oldest.».

Indeed, it is a well known point of view in the eurocentric school of
thought that Greece is the crucible of civilization (including democracy).
In that school it is also believed that Judeo-Christianity invented
monotheism, that the history of the Americas begins with the arrival of
Columbus, that the United States is the oldest democracy of the American
continent, that Dessalines was a terrorist and Thomas Jefferson a hero.
However, Mr. Heinl, the world is much larger than this eurocentric
selectively amnesic school. Much larger! There are over 6 billion people on
this beautiful little planet. Some of us have other perspectives based on
our own socio-cultural paradigms.

For some of us, the KMTic kingdoms of Pharaoh Narmer or of Queen Tiye
deserve as much if not more credit for several advanced human civilisations
(including Western and MesoAmerican civilisations) than does Greek
civilisation... Pharaoh Akenaton is recognised to be monotheist way before
the invention of either judaism or christianity; and, Dessalines is
recognised for the freedom fighter and ultimate liberator that he truly was
etc...

The point is. You and I are not looking at history with the same set of eyes
nor from the same stand point. You are a benefactor of the  White
Supremacist system. I am a benefactor of Dessalines freedom struggle. We are
in two different comic strips. Your heroes are zeroes  in my book and,
understandably, mine do not impress you much.

Someone requiring anonymity mischievously suggested on this list that, if
pre-1860 United States murdered the Africans it enlaved, like Dessalines
killed most of the french in 1804, perhaps I would be more inclined to
consider pre-1860 United States a Democracy.

This anonymous poster should know that, indeed, the U.S DID murder MILLIONS
of Africans. Those who were still in bondage in 1860 were escapees of the
great tribulation. In fact, this barbaric and unprecedented ethnocide is
precisely what the french, the british, the spaniards, the dutch were
partaking to all over the continent. And, that is exactly what Makandal,
Kebinda, Boukman, Toussaint, Dessalines, Sanit Bélair....(and countless
others in Brazil, in the U.S., in Jamaica etc...) rose against and defeated,
in Ayiti, in 1803. And, even 200 years after all this, what lesson have the
tormentors of the African people learned? How are they dealing with Haiti?,
with Jamaica? with Souh Africa? with the Congo? Have White Supremacy been
replaced by Democracy or has it simply mutated into a more sophisticated
murder machine. Why is it the European Union and the U.S. continue to
destabilise every government lead by a black leader chosen by his people
(Aristide, Thabo M'beki, Maurice Bishop, Patrice Lumumba, Thomas Sankarra)
while they gang up to arm and finance and protect our Mobutus?

Sir, if in the aftermath of a truly JUST war (if there ever have been one!!)
5000 french human beings died in Haiti at the hands of Dessalines, let it be
remembered that it is after several millions of Africans had been «LEGALLY»
slaughtered (placed in holes and covered with molasse, dismembered, eaten by
Rochambeau's dogs, raped, milked, stabbed to death, thrown to the sharks of
the middle passage...). And, if you can for a moment (try, in your dream) to
put yourself in Dessalines' shoes, you would realise that he was at war
against the worst enemies his people could have ever imagined and so he
fought them with 1/10 of the barbarism they had shown towards him and his
people. There was no «Black Supremacy System» instituted in Haiti. It was
instead a Black Humanity System. Must I remind you also that Toussaint
L'Ouverture had tried to civilise the whites in Haiti and, instead the chose
to betray him and cowardly captured him - sending him to die starved in a
cold european prison. Even so, Dessalines went as far as sparing the live of
the lowly coward named Rochambeau (the one who came with the Cuba-trained
African eating dogs), when he had the opportunity to rid the planet of this
monster. Yet, this same Rochambeau boasted that he would beat Dessalines to
death were he to fall into his hands. Who is the monster in this film? No
wonder Hollywood is not interested!!!!

Racial Slavery in the U.S. was institutionalised. It was a collective
«state» decision that Africans were to be systematically brutalised and kept
down while they were making the U.S. prosper. There is no comparison to be
made between such a collective - institutionalised barbarism and Dessalines'
act of «infinite justice» conducted during a time of war - indeed a war for
survival!

Having read how Mr. Heinl considers, his country's state-sponsored and
nurtured racial slavery as a matter of little import; having many times
before seen how quick some highly educated people are to condemn Dessalines;
having seen how the film «Beloved» flopped at the box offices... I now
understand why, in the year 2001 Haitians continue to be villified by many
of those who nonetheless claim to love Haiti.

It is a worthwhile observation for Haitians to make: Many of Haiti's
self-appointed friends love her (land) but hate her people, her history, her
heroes.

Jafrikayiti

« Might does not make right !»

Jafrikayiti