9863: President Aristide letter to the Congressional Black Caucus (fwd)

From: MKarshan@aol.com

Letter from President Jean-Bertrand Aristide to the Congressional Black Caucus:

November 23, 2001

On behalf of the Haitian people, I would like to express my sincere appreciation for your strong and public support for a change in the current policy toward Haiti. I applaud your letter of November 8, 2001, and strongly agree that the economic blockade imposed on the Haitian people must come to an end so that Haiti can move forward in peace toward economic and social prosperity.

The subsequent and eloquent statements made on the House floor by several members of the Caucus placed a much ignored human perspective on so many of the urgent problems confronting our people by addressing the human crisis faced by the majority of Haitians -- HIV/AIDS, extreme poverty, and the high infant mortality rate.

Your continued solidarity provides me the strength and encouragement necessary to continue the Haitian people's struggle for peace and economic stability. Your interventions on behalf of Haiti are received with gratitude by Haitians everywhere.

My warmest regards,

Jean-Bertrand Aristide