9866: CBC invites Ministers of Foreign Affairs & Finance to DC (fwd)

From: MKarshan@aol.com

CONGRESSIONAL BLACK CAUCUS INVITES MINISTERS OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS AND FINANCE TO CAPITOL HILL IN DECEMBER 3, 2001 LETTER:

The Congressional Black Caucus would like to invite the Ministers of Foreign Affairs and Finance to Capital Hill on December 6, 2001, to discuss the recent political and economic events in Haiti.

We remain deeply concerned about Haiti’s people and the role of U.S. policy towards your nation.  Our concerns were recently expressed in a letter sent to President George Bush and through statements made by several CBC members on the floor of the House of Representatives.   We consider a briefing by the Ministers as an important part of our understanding the critical dynamics occurring in Haiti today and how U.S. policy can most effectively work to increase development and prosperity.

We appreciate your consideration of this matter and look forward to your response.  If you have any questions, please contact John Tustin, my Legislative Assistant at (202) 225-8885.

Sincerely,

Eddie Bernice Johnson
Chair