9873: Letter to Sen. Dodd from Florida lawyer following meeting with Haitians in Fl. (fwd)

From: MKarshan@aol.com

December 3, 2001

Honorable Christopher Dodd
United States Senate
448 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington DC, 20510

RE  :  Release of Humanitarian Aid to Haiti

Dear Senator Dodd:

On Behalf of the Haitian Community, thank you for taking time out of your
busy schedule and from your newborn daughter Grace to meet with us on
Saturday December 1, 2001, and to address our concerns for the suffering of
the Haitian people resulting from the economic blockade on Haiti.

of the IDB, Mr. Iglesias, to request the release of $146 million in
humanitarian aid to Haiti.  Those loans are much needed for education,
transportation, potable water and healthcare; About 300,000 individuals in
Haiti are suffering from HIV/AIDS and in need of care.   As the Chairman of
the Senate Foreign Relations Subcommittee on Western Hemisphere, with
oversight over the United States Foreign Assistance Program, your actions
carry a lot of weight and we thank you for taking this giant step.  In
addition, your expressed optimism that the loans will be released gives us
hope for our country.

Time and time again, you have stood by the people of Haiti.  Your yearly
travel to Jeremie is proof of that.  Your actions prove that you are a
"Friend of Haiti".  Once again, thank you for taking a stand on behalf of the
people of Haiti.

Respectfully,

Gabrielle Alexis, Esq.
MONDESIR, ALEXIS & ASSOCIATES, P.A.